Eur. J. Entomol. 108 (4): 547-552, 2011 | DOI: 10.14411/eje.2011.070
Effect of insect-resistant transgenic maize on growth and development, utilization of nutrients and in vivo activity of the detoxification enzymes of the Asian corn borer, Ostrinia furnacalis (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae)
- School of Horticulture and Plant Protection, Yangzhou University, Yangzhou 225009, China
There is little systematic research on the effect of transgenic maize expressing Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) toxins on insect survival and the response in vivo of their detoxification enzymes. Results of laboratory bioassays indicate that the whorl leaves of transgenic maize lines G03-2396 and G03-2739 significantly affected the survival of neonate and third instar larvae of the Asian corn borer, Ostrinia furnacalis (Güenée). Neonate mortality two days after being fed on G03-2739 was 72.5% and exceeded 92.5% four days later. The percentage mortality of third instar larvae six days after being fed whorl leaves from G03-2396 exceeded 65%. The resistance of whorl leaves to insect attack was greater than that of maize-ears, but less effective against attacks by third instar larvae. Neonate development was more prolonged when they were fed on whorl leaves of both the transgenic maize lines. In contrast, low pupation (<80% of that recorded in the controls), ecolosion and fecundity were recorded following ingestion of maize-ears, with pupal weights 10-14 mg lower than that of controls. The growth rates of third instar larvae recorded three and six days after feeding on whorl leaves were lower, but food utilization, conversion and relative metabolism were not significantly affected. Relative food ingestion, relative growth rate and other nutritional indicators of third instar larvae were significantly lower six days after the ingestion of ears and that of fifth instar larvae after three days. In vivo activity of carboxylesterase was decreased to a greater degree after three days when the larvae were fed on whorl leaves than ears, with no significant effect on fifth instar larvae. Furthermore, in vivo activity of glutathione S-transferase (GST) of third instar larvae was significantly affected following the ingestion of whorl leaves. These results are discussed in the context of the literature on the resistance of transgenic plants and of improving the resistance of plants to attack by the different larval stages of insects.
Keywords: Lepidoptera, Pyralidae, Ostrinia furnacalis, detoxification enzyme, growth and development, insect-resistant transgenic maize, nutritional indicators
Received: November 8, 2010; Accepted: June 14, 2011; Revised: June 14, 2011; Published: October 3, 2011Show citation
- VAN ASPEREN K. 1962: A study of housefly esterase by means of a sensitive colorimetric method. J. Insect Physiol. 8: 401-416 Go to original source...
- BRADFORD M.M. 1976: A rapid and sensitive method for the quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding. Analyt. Biochem. 72: 248-254 Go to original source...
- CANDAS M., LOSEVA O., OPPERT B., KOSARAJU P. & BULLA L.A. 2003: Insect resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis: Alteration in the indianmeal moth larval gut proteome. Mol. Cell. Proteom. 2: 19-28 Go to original source...
- HE K.L., WANG Z.Y., WEN L.P., BAI Z.X., ZHOU D.R. 2004: Transgenic maize evaluated for resistance to the Asian Corn Borer (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Chin. Agric. Sci. Bull. 20: 240-246
- JAMES C. 2003: Global review of commercialized transgenic crops. Curr. Sci. 84: 303-309
- JIAO C.H. 2005: Production dynamic of transgenic crops in America. World Agric. 11: 49-51
- LI H.R., OPPERT B., HIGGINS R.A., HUANG F.N., BUSCHMAN L.L., GAO J.R. & ZHU K.Y. 2005: Characterization of cDNAs encoding three trypsin-like proteinases and mRNA quantitative analysis in Bt-resistant and -susceptible strains of Ostrinia nubilalis. Insect Biochem. Mol. Biol. 35: 847-860 Go to original source...
- LI W.D., WU K.M., WANG X.Q. & GUO Y.Y. 2003: Evaluation of impact of pollen grains of Cry1Ac- and Cry1A + CpTItransgenic on the growth and development of Chinese tussah silkworm (Antherea pernyi). J. Agric. Biotechnol. 11: 488-493
- LI Z.Z., SHEN H.J., JIANG Q.G. & JI B.Z. 1994: A study on the activities of endogenous enzymes of protective system in some insects. Acta Entomol. Sin. 37: 399-403
- LUO M.H., LIU J.B., FU G.C., GUO X.R. & MA B.L. 2007: Resistance of Bt transgenic maize to Ostrinia furnacalis. J. Henan Agric. Univ. 41: 77-80
- QIN J.D. 1987: The Relationship between Insects and Plants - Comments on the Interaction between Insects and Plants and its Evaluation. Science Press, Beijing, pp. 133-149
- SCHARF M.E., NEAL J.J., MARCUS C.B. & BENNETT G.W. 1998: Cytochrome P450 purification and immunological detection in an insecticide resistant strain of german cockroach (Blattella germanica L.). Insect Biochem. Mol. Biol. 28: 1-9 Go to original source...
- TANG Q.Y. & FENG M.G. 2002: Practical Statistical Analysis and its DPS Data Processing System. Science Press, Beijing, pp. 43-80
- WALDBAUER G.P. 1968: The consumption and utilization of food by insects. Adv. Insect Physiol. 5: 229-288 Go to original source...
- WANG D.Y., WANG Z.Y., HE K.L. & CONG B. 2005: Feeding behavior of Ostrinia furnacalis (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) larvae on transgenic Bt corn expressing CryIAb toxin. Chin. Bull. Entomol. 42: 258-262
- XU Y.L., WANG Z.Y., HE K.L. & BAI S.X. 2006: Effects of transgenic Bt corn expressing Cry1Ab toxin on activities of some enzymes in larvae of the Asian corn borer, Ostrinia furnacalis (Gueenee) (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Acta Entomol. Sin. 49: 562-567
- XU Y.L., WANG Z.Y., HE K.L. & BAI S.X. 2007: Tissue distribution and content of Cry1Ab insecticidal protein in the Bacillus thuringiensis resistant and susceptible Asian corn borer larvae fed on Bt-transgenic corn. Acta Entomol. Sin. 50: 957-961
- YANG Y.Z., JOHSON M.L., ZALUCKI M.P. 2008: Effect of GMO cotton on behaviors and habits of early instar larvae of Helicoverpa armigera (Huebner) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Austr. J. Entomol. 47: 137-141 Go to original source...
- YAO H.W., YE G.Y. & CHENG J.A. 2002: Advances in the studies on the effects of host plants on insect susceptibility to insecticides. Acta Entomol. Sin. 45: 253-264
- ZHANG S., ZENG X.N. & LUO Y. 2004: Relationship between host plant and insecticide-resistance of isects. Guangxi Agric. Sci. 35: 213-215
- ZHANG Y., LIU C.X., LI Y.H. & WU K.M. 2010: Phytase transgenic maize does not affect the development and nutrition utilization of Ostrinia furnacalis and Helicoverpa armigera. Environ. Entomol. 39: 1051-1057 Go to original source...
- ZHOU D.R., WANG Y.Y., LIU B.L. & JU Z.L. 1980: Studies on the mass rearing of corn borer. Acta Phytopath. Sin. 7: 113-122
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY), which permits use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original publication is properly cited. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.