Eur. J. Entomol. 108 (1): 47-52, 2011 | DOI: 10.14411/eje.2011.006
Some ethological aspects of the trophobiotic interrelations between ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) and larvae of the sawfly Blasticotoma filiceti (Hymenoptera: Blasticotomidae)
- Institute of Systematics and Ecology of Animals, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Frunze str. 11, Novosibirsk 630091, Russia; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Olyaemail@example.com
Some ethological aspects of the interrelations between ants and the larvae of Blasticotoma filiceti Klug, 1834 were investigated in the Altai Republic and Novosibirsk Region in 2006-2008. The interactions of ants with the larvae of this sawfly are determined by the concealed way of life style of B. filiceti. The majority of the ant-sawfly encounters occurred near holes in fern fronds at the moment when larvae excreted liquid or left their tunnels before descending to the soil prior to overwintering. Sawfly larvae visited by more aggressive ants, such as Formica s. str., leave the fern fronds slowly, which enables them to avoid inciting attacks by ants. The behaviour of the ants while collecting the larval excretion is similar to their behaviour at sugar troughs. The organisation of the collecting larval excreta by ants was investigated in detail in the cases of Formica polyctena Förster, 1850 and Myrmica rubra Linnaeus, 1758. The individual fern plants with sawfly larvae are attended by relatively constant groups of foragers in both cases. However, the highly social red wood ants interact with sawfly larvae in a more complex way. While the working groups of M. rubra tending sawfly larvae consist only of non-aggressive "unspecialized" foragers, those of F. polyctena include also a few "on duty" ants that protect the trophobionts, at least from the other ants.
Keywords: Hymenoptera, Formicidae, Formica polyctena, F. fusca, Myrmica rubra, M. ruginodis, Lasius platythorax, Camponotus sp., Blasticotomidae, Blasticotoma filiceti, behaviour, ants, trophobiosis, sawfly larvae, Siberia, Altai, Novosibirsk
Received: May 27, 2010; Accepted: July 8, 2010; Revised: July 8, 2010; Published: January 3, 2011Show citation
- BIRYUKOVA O.B. 2007: On the trophobiotic interaction of ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) with sawfly larvae of Blasticotomidae (Hymenoptera). Myrmecol. News 10: 101
- BIRYUKOVA O.B. & NOVGORODOVA T.A. 2008: Trophobiotic interactions between representatives of the order Hymenoptera: ants (Formicidae) and sawfly larvae (Blasticotomidae). Evraziat. Entomol. Zh. 7: 227-233 [in Russian, English abstr.]
- BIRYUKOVA O.B., RASNITSYN A.P. & NOVGORODOVA T.A. 2006: On trophobiotic interactions of ants with different insects. In: Proceedings of the VIIth Conference of Entomologists of Siberia and Far East, "Entomologic Investigations in North Asia". Novosibirsk, pp. 203-205 [in Russian]
- CHOE D.-H. & RUST M.K. 2006: Homopteran chemical signatures reduce aggression of tending ants. Chemoecology 16: 175-178 Go to original source...
- DELABIE J.H.C. 2001: Trophobiosis between Formicidae and Hemiptera (Sternorrhyncha and Auchenorrhyncha): an overview. Neotrop. Entomol. 30: 501-516 Go to original source...
- GIBERNAU M. & DEJEAN A. 2001: Ant protection of a Heteropteran trophobiont against a parasitoid wasp. Oecologia 126: 53-57 Go to original source...
- HOLLDOBLER B. & WILSON E.O. 1990: The Ants. Springer, Berlin, 732 pp
- LISTON A.D. 2007: Zur Biologie und Vorkommen von Blasticotoma filiceti Klug, 1834 (Hymenoptera, Blasticotomidae) in Brandenburg und Berlin. Nachr. Ber. 51: 95-99
- MASCHWITZ U., FIALA B. & DOLLING W.R. 1987: New trophobiotic symbioses of ants with South east Asian bugs. J. Natur. History. 21: 1097-1107 Go to original source...
- MEIJERE J.C.H. 1911: Uber in Farnen parasitierende Hymenopteren- und Dipteren-Larven. Tijdschr. Entomol. 54: 80-127
- MORDVILKO A.K. 1901: Biology and morphology of aphids. Proc. Russ. Entomol. Soc. 33: 418-475 [in Russian]
- NIXON G.E.J. 1951: The Association of Ants with Aphids and Coccids. Commonwealth Institute of Entomology, London, 36 pp
- NOVGORODOVA T.A. 2004: The symbiotic relationships between ants and aphids. Zh. Obsch. Biol. 65: 152-165 [in Russian, English abstr.]
- NOVGORODOVA T.A. 2007: The specialization in groups of ants tending aphid colonies (Hymenoptera: Formicidae; Homoptera: Aphididae). Myrmecol. News 10: 115
- NOVGORODOVA T.A. 2008: The specialization in ant working groups involved in trophobiosis with aphids. Zh. Obsch. Biol. 69: 293-302 [in Russian, English abstr.]
- NOVGORODOVA T.A. & REZNIKOVA ZH.I. 1996: Ecological aspects of interaction between ants and aphids in the forest park zone of the Novosibirsk Scientific Centre. Siber. J. Ecol. (3-4): 239-245 [in Russian, English abstr.]
- OLIVER T.H., LEATHER S.R. & COOK J.M. 2008: Macroevolutionary patterns in the origin of mutualisms involving ants. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 1597-1608 Go to original source...
- PIERCE N.E., BRABY M.F., HEATH A., LOHMAN D.J., MATHEW J., RAND D.B. & TRAVASSOS M.A. 2002: The ecology and evolution of ant association in the Lycaenidae (Lepidoptera). Annu. Rev. Entomol. 47: 733-771 Go to original source...
- REZNIKOVA ZH.I. & NOVGORODOVA T.A. 1998: Division of labour and exchange of information within ant settlement. Usp. Sovrem. Biol. 118: 345-357 [in Russian, English abstr.]
- SHCHERBAKOV D.E. 2006: Fern sawfly larvae Blasticotoma filiceti Klug, 1834 (Hymenoptera: Blasticotomidae) are visited by ants: a new kind of trophobiosis. Russ. Entomol. J. 16: 67-72
- STYRSKY J.D. & EUBANKS M.D. 2007: Ecological consequences of interactions between ants and honeydew-producing insects. Proc. R. Soc. (B) 274: 151-164 Go to original source...
- VERZHUTSKIY B.N. 1981: Herbivorous Insects in Ecosystems of Eastern Siberia. Novosibirsk, 302 pp. [in Russian]
- VOLKL W., WOODRING J., FISCHER M., LORENZ M.W. & HOFFMANN K.H. 1999: Ant-aphid mutualisms: the impact of honeydew production and honeydew sugar composition on ant preferences. Oecologia 118: 483-491 Go to original source...
- WALDKIRCHER G., WEBB M.D. & MASCHWITZ U. 2004: Description of a new shieldbug (Heteroptera: Plataspidae) and its close association with a species of ant (Hymenoptera, Formicidae) in Southeast Asia. Tijdschr. Entomol. 147: 21-28 Go to original source...
- WAY M.J. 1963: Mutualism between ants and honeydew producing Homoptera. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 8: 307-344 Go to original source...
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY), which permits use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original publication is properly cited. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.