Eur. J. Entomol. 107 (3): 441-453, 2010 | DOI: 10.14411/eje.2010.051
A new species group and five new species of the genus Pavania (Acari: Dolichocybidae) associated with insects, with notes on leg chaetotaxy and the distribution of genera
- 1 Department of Entomology, Faculty of Agriculture, Tarbiat Modares University, 14115-336, Tehran, Iran; e-mail: email@example.com
- 2 Nikita Botanical Gardens, National Scientific Center, Yalta, Crimea, 98648, Ukraine; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
A new species group and five new species of mites of the genus Pavania Lombardini, 1949 belonging to the family Dolichocybidae (Acari: Heterostigmata) are described from Iran. Pavania gymnopleuri Hajiqanbar & Khaustov sp. n., P. sabzevarensis Hajiqanbar & Khaustov sp. n. and P. onthophagi Hajiqanbar & Khaustov sp. n., represent a new gymnopleuri species group. Two new species are also described in the fusiformis group: P. kamalii Hajiqanbar & Khaustov sp. n. and P. elongata Hajiqanbar & Khaustov sp. n. All new species are associated with scarabaeid and carabid beetles (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae, Carabidae). This is the first record of the family Dolichocybidae from Iran. The leg setation and geographic distribution of all genera of this family are discussed and keys to genera and species of the genus Pavania are provided.
Keywords: Acari, Prostigmata, Heterostigmata, Dolichocybidae, Pavania, taxonomy, new species, chaetotaxy, Coleoptera, Scarabaeidae, Carabidae, Iran
Received: August 20, 2009; Accepted: February 17, 2010; Revised: February 17, 2010; Published: July 20, 2010Show citation
- KALISZEWSKI M., ATHIAS-BINCHE F. & LINDQUIST E.E. 1995: Parasitism and parasitoidism in Tarsonemina (Acari: Heterostigmata) and evolutionary considerations. Adv. Parasitol. 35: 335-367 Go to original source...
- LINDQUIST E.E. 1986: The world genera of Tarsonemidae (Acari: Heterostigmata): A morphological, phylogenetic and systematic revision, with a reclassification of family-group taxa in Heterostigmata. Mem. Entomol. Soc. Can. 136: 1-517 Go to original source...
- LINDQUIST E.E. & KRANTZ G.W. 2002: Description of, and validation of names for the genus Crotalomorpha and the family Crotalomorphidae (Acari: Heterostigmata). Syst. Appl. Acarol. 7: 129-142 Go to original source...
- MAGOWSKI W. 1997: Rafamastix plenus gen. n., sp. n. of the family Dolichocybidae from South America (Acari: Heterostigmata). Genus 8: 61-74
- MIRONOV S.V. & BOCHKOV A.V. 2009: Modern conceptions concerning the macrophylogeny of acariform mites (Chelicerata, Acariformes). Zool. Zh. 88: 922-937 [in Russian]
- SEVASTIANOV V.D. 1980: New taxa of mites of the family Dolichocybidae (Trombidiformes, Tarsonemina) and phylogenetic relations of its subfamilies. Zool. Zh. 59: 1453-1462 [in Russian]
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY), which permits use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original publication is properly cited. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.