Eur. J. Entomol. 105 (4): 793-795, 2008 | DOI: 10.14411/eje.2008.105
A modified method for clearing, staining and mounting plant-inhabiting mites
- MITOX Consultants, P.O. Box 92260, 1090 AG Amsterdam, The Netherlands; e-mail: email@example.com
A modified method for clearing, staining and mounting plant-inhabiting mites is proposed. With this method, all mites can be cleared with a single agent and mounted in a single medium. The stain added to the mounting medium enhances the clarity of the fine structures of soft-bodied mites under phase contrast and more significantly under bright field microscopy.
Keywords: Acari, iodine, staining, microscope slides
Received: November 28, 2007; Accepted: March 19, 2008; Published: October 24, 2008Show citation
- AMRINE J.W.JR. & MANSON D.C.M. 1996: Preparation, mounting and descriptive study of Eriophyoid mites. In Lindquist E.E., Sabelis M.W. & Bruin J. (eds): Eriophyoid Mites - Their Biology, Natural Enemies and Control. World Crop Pests, Vol. 6. Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, pp. 383-396
- COINEAU Y. 1974: Nouvelles techniques pour l'etude de la morphologie des formations chitineuses des acariens. Acarologia 16: 4-10
- EVANS G.O. & BROWNING E. 1955: Techniques for the preparation of mites for study. Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist. 8: 631-635 Go to original source...
- JEPSSON L.R., KEIFER H.H. & BAKER E.W. 1975: Mites injurious to economic plants. Univ. California Press, Brekeley, 614 pp
- KRANTZ G.W. 1978: Collection, rearing, and preparation for study. In: A Manual of Acarology. Oregon State University Bookstore, pp. 77-98
- TRAVIS B.V. 1968: Glyptal-a useful slide ringing compound. J. Med. Entomol. 5: 24 Go to original source...